3 Magazines That You Should Consider Reading

In Shelley’s Capstone course, we were asked to read an article titled “10 Magazines Every Writer Should Read” and write about the top three that interest us the most. I was surprised by some of these titles because I had never heard of them before like Mental Floss and Lucky Peach, while some were more known by the mainstream such as Vanity Fair and The New Yorker. I moved the list, spending more time on the ones that were less known to me, and I came up with my own personal top three that I would read.

1. Entrepreneur: Entrepreneur Magazine interests me because it’s related to my major, business. I think pursuing entrepreneurship would be a cool thing for the future, but even for people who aren’t going that route a lot of the life skills can be applied to other parts of life. This magazine has a lot of content about up and coming companies, which is interesting to see what new and creative ideas people are coming up with. A lot of the articles are about motivation and productivity which applies to people even if they are not an entrepreneur. Here’s an article about how to become a better public speaker, which is important no matter what you’re doing in the future.

2. Make: Make contains content that would easily distract me from doing work. It appeals to me because there’s a bunch of cool stuff that I would LIKE to make, but I’d never get around to doing it. I just don’t have the creativity or the patience to make something like making lego candles. But, reading these articles would inspire me to be creative and actually create things. This burst of creativity might also trickle out to my writing.

3. The Atlantic: I like the Atlantic because it’s a good commentary on current events. It lets people read about current events in a way that’s easy to understand. There are some articles that are shorter and ones that are more long form, so there’s something for everybody. What makes The Atlantic great is there’s really an area of interest for everybody from culture to politics.

There are definitely other honorable mentions on the list, so it was hard to choose my top three. Take a look at the list and discover something new to add to your reading list! I know I sure did.

Melody Ng

Melody is currently a senior studying business.