FiveThirtyEightSports

I have been a huge sports fan my entire life. Keeping up with sports news and discussion is second nature to me. Consequently, I find myself on ESPN.com quite a bit. While on ESPN, I kept coming across intriguing article pieces done by the site FiveThirtyEight (ESPN owns FiveThirtyEight). Every time I clicked on one of these pieces I was hooked on whatever topic was being discussed. I am now to the point where I rely on FiveThirtyEight for sports news and topics just as much as I do ESPN.

FiveThirtyEight is very unique to other sites. It informs you of a topic in a way that persuades you into thinking a certain way. It does this by using statistical information such as interactive graphs charts and tables to backup its writing.

For example, I stumbled upon an article just today that takes the exciting topic of the Rams moving to Los Angeles – my hometown – and puts a different spin on it. The article is called “The Rams Won’t Get as Much From LA as The Lakers and Dodgers Do.”

Here is an excerpt from the article:

Comparing the Rams’ situation to those of teams in the NBA, NHL and MLB, all of which have lucrative regional TV deals that the NFL can’t tap into, reveals how little the Rams gain in television money by moving to Los Angeles. Specifically, we can zoom in to the revenue from Los Angeles teams’ TV contracts to see how much money the Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Clippers, Kings and Ducks are pulling in from regional contracts:

flowerspaine-NFL_tv_revenue-2

This site has helped me transform my love of sports. I used to be only obsessed with players and game day storylines (which I still am), only now I am also interested in the the why and the how. And as a major in Sport Management, this site is perfect for me.

One thought to “FiveThirtyEightSports”

1. I love 538 as well. Nice use of a graphic in your post. I really like your closing line about the site transforming your love of sports. Additionally, the article you selected is really interesting to me because I am a football fan and from Los Angeles.