National PHOTOgraphic

I am obsessed with National Geographic: the website, snapchat story, channel (everything besides the actual magazine subscription because that costs money) all allow me to live vicariously through the adventure stories and monumental world discoveries. However, more often than not I just look at the neat pictures and time-lapse videos instead of delving into the articles. Initially, the photos interested me the most because I think it requires amazing talent to tell a complete story with a picture– and National Geographic’s photographers achieve that. Most recently, however, I’ll “read” an article by reading the title and looking at all the accompanying pictures. And that is unfair to the impressive articles those shots are actually complementing.
So, the form I am interested in is an article titled, “The Changing Face of Saudi Women” featured in the venue of National Geographic’s February Magazine. The article documents the example of one woman, Noof Hassan, who is one of many redefining the boundaries of living in a deeply conservative culture. The key attributes I noticed in this article were: credibility, simplistic style, and definite conflict. The oppression of women in Middle Eastern cultures is a topic that the majority of Western culture thinks they know a lot of information on. This article was not attempting to sway the reader, as I have experience before, it was trying to genuinely tell the story of true pioneering women. Also, the style and tone were not complex, which allows the reader to easily engage themselves– especially with the accompanying pictures, the entire feature is very imaginable. Lastly, the article addresses conflict, and an honest, relevant issue: women’s rights. National Geographic’s popular impression is nature pictures. This abstract allowed me to assume that National Geographic writes articles and takes pictures of more than just mountains and buffaloes; National Geographic addresses present social issues and highly discussed topics.
Any form in this venue should feature a meaningful narration, addressing a true issue, and in a way that story-tells the concern to the reader. Overall, the magazine features credible articles worth reading, and they’re as easy to look at and as rewarding to reflect on as a photo.