Writing for Audiences

I belong to many different writing communities. One community that comes to mind as one I participate in on a daily basis is the community of people who write text messages. Texting my friends, family, etc is the form of writing that I would argue that I use more than any other form. In a similar train of thought, another writing community I belong to is the community of emailers. I send out emails frequently, usually in a professional manner, such as emailing my professors or potential employers. Within those two writing communities, my writing varies quite significantly.  

When I am texting my friends and family, I usually use improper grammar. Sometimes I repeat myself, or I make mistakes without editing them such as spelling a word the way that it sounds instead of how it is actually spelled (soddering versus soldering- eh they will get what I mean). I am always trying to make my friends laugh, or banter about some ongoing topic. Additionally, I use a lot of emojis or other symbols within the text. The sentences can be fragmented, or not really make sense, as long as they get my point across. When I want to use all caps, I USE ALL CAPS. When I want to curse, I write whatever I damn well please. I text under tables, while I am walking, and while grocery shopping. Texting is very casual and second nature to me. Here is an example of texts between me and a few of my friends:

texting conversation

When I email my professors, on the other hand, I scrutinize even tiny details (like saying “utilize” instead of “use” for example). I reread and edit and make sure my message comes across as sounding smart and also succinct along with mature. I make sure the grammar is perfect and the wording is on point. The message must be clear, and I cannot email them for no reason, it must have a specific purpose. I usually sit down at my computer and write an email in a 5 minute span without distractions. Emailing is much more if a serious event, and I use formal language. Here is an example of an email I wrote to one of my professors: Email convo

Reading the email, it’s not totally robotic and platonic, but it’s certainly more formal and thought-out than the texting conversation. Although both my texting language and my emailing language incorporate a little bit of my personality, the variance in the formality of the occasion force me to change my tone and style of writing. In short, based on my audience, I change my writing to get my point across.