Exploration Driven by Arguments

People are creatures of habit. Before this experiment of not clearing my history, I had a pretty good idea of what the results would be. I would visit the same handful of websites with a couple random ones thrown in. This definitely proved to be the case. CTools and Canvas were almost always open… sans the time that Canvas refused to work. It became evident that my go-to procrastination site was Sporcle. Just like some people get lost in the endless abyss of Facebook or YouTube or Netflix, it is way too easy to get caught up in saying “Oh just one more quiz”. I always have a tab open for Google+ to stay up to date on the continuously active and growing group message that my friends have.

The rest of my history is surprisingly varied. Well, “surprisingly” may be a bit of a stretch. I spent quite a bit of time looking at runway shows on Vogue and Italian Vogue, doing research for one of my other classes. I also looked up chain making techniques for my metalsmithing. To add to the randomness, the Puppy Bowl spurred me to look at PetFinder. Just a warning, that’s never a good idea because you’ll end up just wanting all of them. Finally, there were numerous searches for random people and stores prompted by random debates and arguments, the Super Bowl, or searching for some new shoes.

For the most part, my Internet use revolves around the same few websites. Research and debate result in periodic exploration, but in general I am pretty unadventurous. Maybe next time I am trying to delay writing a paper or my reading, I’ll try and branch out, taking a small step in discovering what lies hidden in the ever-expanding world of the internet.

2 thoughts to “Exploration Driven by Arguments”

1. I find it interesting how our most expansive sense of the internet is often gained through required research. It’s not self-driven at all, so (at least for me) it doesn’t feel particularly fun or adventurous. I experienced this same phenomenon when researching for my repurposing rough draft— I likely explored more new websites in the few hours I spent drafting than I had all week combined.

Are we adverse (not in a negative way, just in a passive way) to internet exploration precisely because of these assignments? Or are they a necessary and important way to open our minds?