Reflection

If we’re being completely honest, I’m still struggling with the focus of my project. This is not the best place to be with the production plan being due Thursday, but alas, here I am. Once again, with complete transparency, I usually have no idea what I’m writing until I’m in the middle of writing it. Take this blog post, for example: I’m just typing. For any formal¬†assignment, I’ll go back and delete all of the crazy things that fly off of my fingertips, but if I’m allowed any freedom at all, odds are I’ll leave it.

For my English 325 class, “The Art of the Essay,” this method has worked relatively well. It’s creative nonfiction; tell a story about yourself, talk about how you were feeling, reflect on it. This kind of thing, based on how I write, comes naturally. I word vomit. I make a nice little story. It comes full circle. “I did this, this happened, I learned this, now I am forever changed.” It makes sense because this is what people like to read. There is an art to this, so the course title, too, makes sense. In any case, this kind of writing is familiar to me. It allows me to write how I like to write.

This style of writing has not been working for my capstone project. Of that, I’m sure. For my pre-production plan and production plan, I allowed the words to fire off onto my keyboard rapidly. I went back and did a little editing, but I wasn’t worried about narrowing my focus at that point. In fact, I wasn’t worried at all, so I just kind of let everything happen. I rattled off a list of questions I wanted to answer and then I turned that into something I thought I could make happen. But you can’t just word vomit a capstone project, or so I’m finding out.

And so begins the production plan. My topic, which is “secrets,” definitely allows for plenty of creative nonfiction writing, but it has to be so much more thought out than other assignments. You might thing, “obviously, Kelly, you work on it all semester you better think it through,” but my ability to translate the words that fly across my brain into words on a page¬†has worked for many large assignments before. So what makes this one different? When I go back to edit the word vomit, I can’t find a concrete theme, which is a problem. So my process for this project is to write as much as I possibly can until I can find a small portion to grasp onto and turn into something significant. Fingers crossed!

One thought to “Reflection”

1. Hi Kelly,

I’m right there with you – “word vomiting” can be a great way at times to get everything out there that you want to. I’m doing it right now. My main piece of advice, I think, and you can take it or leave it obviously, but I would try to write one or two sentences as sort of a “summary” of what the project is about. Then, with that guiding theme, maybe the proceeding word vomit will have more of what you are looking for. I try to do this whenever I have a somewhat lengthy assignment, and usually it works somewhat well.

Hope this helps!
    Jeff