Remediation Brainstorming

For my Repurposing Project, I am working on a paper about uniqueness and identity. For the Remediation, I am considering:

1) a photography project — A few weeks ago, I was standing at a bus stop in central campus and saw across the street two girls, presumably strangers, standing a few feet apart. They looked almost identical to one another–same hair color and style, same general build, same winter coat, same boots. This got me thinking about visual identity. How do people look to the outside world, and what does their appearance say about them? Are a person’s fundamental similarities and dissimilarities to others visible from the outside? Did these girls notice each other, and realize that they had a doppelganger, or are they blind to reflections of themselves? Did they feel threatened by this blow to their uniqueness? I’d like to explore these ideas through photography, either candid shots of strangers I see on the street, or possibly a more formal studio shoot of groups of people I think are similar or unique for a variety of reasons.

2) a TED talk — As a singer, a lot of how I engage with text is through performance. I’d like to apply this principle to my work, and turn it into a TED talk-esque lecture, on a stage with a powerpoint and an audience and all that jazz. I think my piece would be well suited to this setting, because it combines research on identity theory with personal anecdote, as I often see in other talks of this type. The narrative sections could turn into a sort of storytelling, and the evidence I provide could feature on the slides and help back up my claims. I think I’d try to create the powerpoint, write the script, rehearse, and then film myself giving the talk.

3) a song — I’ve been wanting to put my newly acquired music theory skills to use for awhile now, and think this project may be a good opportunity to try my hand at songwriting. Because so much of the central argument in my paper stems from my own experiences and observations, I think I could pretty easily adapt it into poetic song lyrics. I could then write a melody, harmonize it (probably with a simple piano accompaniment that I could play with my limited keyboard skills), and record myself or one of my peers singing it. I’ve never written a song before, and the task therefore seems a little daunting, but I think this would be a good way to combine my Vocal Performance major with my writing minor and move my argumentative academic into a move creative format.

These are just a few ideas–I’m not completely convinced by any of them yet. Over the next few weeks and drafts of my paper, I’ll hopefully be able to more directly identify exactly what point my essay is trying to argue. I’ll then choose a remediation project that most clearly reflects that theme. Maybe it’ll be one of these, maybe not… I’ll have to wait and see!