What I wish I Could Write

I wish I could write things that were beautiful and poignant, but also simple and true. I wish I could write something that encapsulates feelings that I have felt, but had never been able to articulate. I wish I could write like Jonathan Safran Foer, American author and professor at New York Univeristy.

In my opinion, Foer is one of the most unique authors of this century. He has a way of imagining and describing  marvelously whimsical ideas that makes the reader both smile and feel touched in some way.

An example of such quote is the following

“What about little microphones? What if everyone swallowed them, and they played the sounds of our hearts through little speakers, which could be in the pouches of our overalls? When you skateboarded down the street at night you could hear everyone’s heartbeat, and they could hear yours, sort of like sonar. One weird thing is, I wonder if everyone’s hearts would start to beat at the same time, like how women who live together have their menstrual periods at the same time, which I know about, but don’t really want to know about. That would be so weird, except that the place in the hospital where babies are born would sound like a crystal chandelier in a houseboat, because the babies wouldn’t have had time to match up their heartbeats yet. And at the finish line at the end of the New York City Marathon it would sound like war.”

-Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

I find myself reading quotes and segments of Foer’s book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, time and time again (it is the ONLY book I had read twice). I read them to remember again what it feels like to experience words that are so accurate and beautiful that they leave an impression on your heart. Some of his words, I carry with me in my everyday life and relationships.

Such as the quotes

“Humans are the only animal that blushes, laughs, has religion, wages war, and kisses with lips. So in a way, the more you kiss with lips, the more human you are.”

Or,

“Songs are as sad as the listener.”

These are all quotes from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which was made into a movie in 2011. Although I heard it was a pretty good movie, this makes me sad. This is because what I really love about this book is the language, and stripping the story of that dimension, in my opinion, does not give it justice.

In my project, I hope to be able to phrase things as accurately, simply, perfectly as Foer is able to. It might be difficult, but I want my podcast to leave an impression on someone who listens to it, the way that Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has left an impression on me.

If you want to know more about him, here is a neat video where Foer describes his experience writing fiction.