Boiler Plates

I consider anything on a resume, cover letter (especially) or job application to be boiler plate. Boiler plate tries to convince people of something–hence, why it is used heavily in the financial and business worlds. Anytime someone says “I am dedicated/passionate/hard-working/etc.”, I consider that boiler plate. I am incredibly guilty of boiler plating–this semester I have applied to more internships than you can ever imagine. I copy/paste cover letters and match around application question responses so I can basically say the same thing 100 times without actually saying anything, or anything new at least. I’ve told 20 companies and organizations that I am committed, ready to work and willing to do whatever work is necessary. I have been trying to convince companies to accept me as an intern–I have been guilty of boiler plating.

Look at any sports interview ever and that will give you enough examples of cliche to last you the end of time. “I love my teammates”, “all I care about is winning”, “we battled our hardest”, “we have a championship-caliber team”…No, no, no, and no. First off, LeBron, you don’t love your teammates, your body language is terrible. No, James Harden, you care about getting your numbers only. No, Dwight Howard, you didn’t give 100% effort, check the game film. And no, Carmelo Anthony, the Knicks are terrible. These are just examples of things all athletes say that are so basic, vague, redundant. But, people say them because they want to avoid controversy–people don’t want to cause a stir, and can you blame them for that?