Boilerplate Problemos

A prime example of a boilerplate is a press release, where family members or PR representatives make statements after a huge media whirlwind. For example, I found Khloe Kardashian’s first released statement to the press about Lamar Odom’s overdose. Here is a small snippet:

“‘The past week has been incredibly difficult,’ Khloe wrote on her website. ‘I am so thankful to family, friends, and fans, who have sent nothing but prayers and well wishes to Lamar. I also want to take a moment to thank everyone…'” (http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/khloe-kardashian-releases-first-official-statement-about-lamar-odom-20152010).

Blah, blah, blah. It is definitely in the boilerplate model because of her general statements that are always seen in press releases. It is a formula that people can understand, but it also is not really saying anything at the same time. A press release such as this could easily replace the names of those involved with another set of names, and then it’s just yet another press release about a different chaotic event in Hollywood.

I am going to use this press release as an example for a cliché as well, because Khloe ends the statement with “God is great!!!” Although not a typical cliché like “absence makes the heart grows fonder,” the phrase she says at the end is still a great cliché that people use in times of strife or heartache. This press release is riddled with boilerplate and cliché problems that one simply cannot fix for the genre. It is the very existence of these two problems that makes press releases so easily constructed and spread over media. They need to be constructed as such.