iMovie to the Final Stages of Project III

For Project III I decided to repurpose my article “Make Your Commencement Count” on The Huffington Post into a video. As of now, the video is coming together surprisingly well. I was a little hesitant at first to use iMovie because I had only worked with it a few times in the past, but it proved to be a great source for this project – even after the countless hours I spent making edits on it.

Throughout my video, viewers are exposed to five key pieces of advice that I recommend to anyone who is giving a commencement address. They were the same five pieces of advice that I used in my article and worked very well for the type of video I was going for. Several different clips from well-known commencement speakers are joined together to give viewers examples of Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 7.24.40 PMthe points I am trying to make. Each video includes the speaker’s name, and what he or she has done to become so well-known. I have also included classic commencement music in the background of the entire video so that each video flows well from one to the other and so that there is music playing during the parts of the video where the advice rolls across the screen. Credits (works cited) follow the video once it has ended.

From here on out, only minor changes need to be made to my video. I may include the name of each school that each video clip takes place at if I notice that it is unclear to my audience. It might also be effective to ass pieces of commentary throughout the video that explains why I have included each specific clip. I plan to wait until my workshop group has a chance to review my video before I decided to make any further changes. I am very happy with the way it has turned out thus far and am excited for my peer to see my final video.

3 thoughts to “iMovie to the Final Stages of Project III”

1. Hey Allyson!
    As someone who has seen your video at several different stages, I have to say that I’m impressed with the work you’ve done! I also loved seeing your portfolio today; it looks very professional, and the colors made it inviting. I thought the storyboard that you created added a helpful visual element to the structure of your video, and I’d almost like to see that developed even more! Maybe you could add blurbs about why you chose the videos on the storyboard rather than on the video. Just an idea! Good luck.
    Emily

2. Hi Allyson,

I have experienced the exact same feelings with iMovie. It seems so simple yet is quite complicated. However, in the final product turns out well. Did you have problems creating the final movie and uploading to your EPortfolio? For me it did not work the first three times so I kind of manipulated it. If you have any advice that would be great! On another hand, I loved viewing your EPortfolio in class. I felt that everything flowed due to the consistent nature theme. I am using inspiration from the consistency of your EPortfolio to revise mine. Overall, I absolutely loved your website and how Project III was displayed! If you have any questions please reach out to me anytime.
    Regards,
    Chloe

3. Hey Allyson!

I decided to make a video for my Project III, too. Editing it is something that I’m not really looking forward to. It sounds like your project is coming along though! I’m excited to see the final result. Commencement speeches are so interesting. I don’t think I’ve actually seen any of the parts of your project in person, so I can’t wait for the big reveal.

-Regina