State of Project III

So I rewrote the lyrics of two songs to make them relate to the calls that were used in Project II. I think for the most part the lyrics are set in stone. I recorded the accompaniment to one of the songs, I have a rough draft of the vocal part, I’ve edited those parts together (basically copy/cut/paste the two parts so they line up better), and now I have to either decide if I like it enough to keep it and not just re-record the whole thing.

Something that surprised me about this project was how things sort of came together for the lyrics. I really had trouble re-writing the lyrics to the first song (I re-wrote “Love Yourself” by Justin Bieber) because the timing of the words is so particular in that song, and you need to find the right rhythm to make it sound similar to the original. And, while trying to write the lyrics initially, I was unsure of what parts of the call I wanted to include. It was a real struggle and the task seemed daunting, but once I started actually writing the lyrics, it took me one Physics lecture to complete! I was surprised at how fast the words poured out. Then for the second song (I changed Maroon 5’s “Sugar” to “Glucose” for hypoglycemia), I felt more confident and that one came out even faster than the first. I also think it’s odd that the second song is more playful and fun than the first.

Anyway, that’s where I’m at right now. Not sure if I’m going to make a video to complement it or what but just glad a song is recorded.

3 thoughts to “State of Project III”

1. Che,
    I’m glad you have made so much progress for your project III. As I was unfamiliar with this project before reading this post, I think you have a really cool idea and i am looking forward to having the opportunity to listen to these songs. I was wondering what made you chose these two songs to re-mediate? I think the “sugar” choice is great, but was it just the title or the beat that made you select this one?

In addition, I thought your E-portfolio looked awesome and I am excited to see how this will fit into your site.
    Great work so far, and I’m looking forward to see your finished product.

2. Che,
    Yay! I’m so happy to hear that you decided to record yourself singing the lyrics to your song. I know that last time we spoke you were still debating whether you wanted to or not, but I think that recording yourself was a great decision and will definitely enhance the effectiveness of the message of your lyrics. I am a bit jealous of the experience you had with your lyric writing process. Words never come to me that easily! I also laughed out loud that you wrote the lyrics during your physics lecture (since I am guilty of doing the same). Can’t wait to hear the recording once its finished!

3. Che!
    This is such a cool idea! First of all, I love both those songs, especially the jbiebs :). I don’t think I could ever write a parody, so I’m super excited to see what you came up with. I thought it was funny that you said you finished it during your physics lecture, because I frequently do my other homework during lectures.

As far as making a video to go along with it, I think that would be a good idea!