10 Questions – Repurposing

1. What changed when music became more digitalized?
  2. How was music listened to then vs. how it is listened to now?
  3. How did this change impact listeners and culture?
  4. What generational differences are present as a result?
  5. Who is most affected by the difference ultimately? The audience or the artist?
  6. How do experiences of music, with friends, in a community, or in solitude, truly differ?
  7. Which way of listening is better?
  8. How does the experience of where you were or whom you were with when you first heard to a song or an album really affect someone and their interaction with music?
  9. Have we become accustomed to listening to music in a way that doesn’t allow society to share the same kind of cultural currency or shared experience?
  10. What can be done in this day and age to emulate what once was, making music a more unifying experience?

I think that in terms of what I need to give the reader in order for them to engage in my piece is the idea that this information is relevant to their lives, whether they are active in acknowledging it or not. Music is something that permeates the everyday lives of so many. Regardless of the difference between people who live for music and those who don’t much care for it, music is something inescapable in society. Whether you hear is at a bar, on a TV show, when working out at the gym, or as you walk to class, we all experience music one way or another, intentionally or unintentionally. Therefore, the discussion of the evolution of music listening practices and the implications of that progression applies to so many. Consequently, I feel that as long as I construct my paper in a way that makes the information applicable to the audience, regardless of how avid of music listeners they are, it will keep them engaged.

That being said, I think that the reader already possesses knowledge about how music is listened to. Be it on Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, Tidal, YouTube, etc., everyone knows how to access music if they so desire. As well, I would say that people are relatively familiar with the earlier practices of music listening i.e. via the radio, buying records, watching MTV, etc. This topic doesn’t really require the reader to have an extensive amount of background knowledge, as music listening is so prevalent that it’s common sense among many.