How Writing Leads to Thinking: Response

In the article, “How Writing Leads to Thinking,” Lynn Hunt begins by stating straightforward facts about writing like, “writing is stressful” and “writing is time-consuming” (Hunt, 2010). However, she goes on to describe a less straightforward and simple account of the writing process. Hunt refers to writing as unpredictable and complex in the sense that a writer does not have complete control over the words that will come out onto the page. The thoughts that appear in a piece of writing are a continuation of the thoughts before them, and the thoughts before them, and one must encounter each thought before reaching the next.

After reading Hunt’s article, I now understand the minor in writing program as an exploration process through these thoughts that do not even exist yet. Throughout the program, we will constantly be updating our ideas and revising our work with the rise of new thoughts. It seems that new ideas and changes will be encouraged, rather than just settling with the current status of our work. The program will be about releasing any expectations about our writing and allowing the process to occur organically without constant control.

Even though Hunt begins her article with statements that remind the reader of why writing can be extremely daunting, she makes it clear that one can trust the process. This inspires me to set a couple goals for myself in this course and throughout my time in the minor. First, I will allow myself to trust the process even when I am discouraged and do not see, at the moment, where my thoughts are taking me as I am writing. I also want to allow myself to relax and explore ideas as I write instead of deliberately trying to form them.

One thought to “How Writing Leads to Thinking: Response”

1. To put it frankly, I think we are all uncertain and intimidated by the work we have in front of us this semester. That’s why I love your use of the words “relax,” “organically,” and “releasing.” Speaking about the process this way makes the projects seem less daunting.

I agree with your comment about how the Minor in Writing can be an exploration process. In addition to exploring our own thoughts through writing, I think we can also explore different ways of thinking about writing – how we consume writing, how we see its function in society, etc. In some sense, we have already begun to explore writing in different ways during class. For example, drawing a picture of the authors forced us to process writing in a new way. I imagine that as the semester goes on, we will accumulate more and more different ways of thinking about writing.