Drafting and Revising

This chapter was all about how your storyboard becomes a finished product. The authors identify a few discrete stages: first, the rough cut, where you have everything basically in position just without any of the details; second, the rough draft, where everything comes together and you should theoretically be able to give it someone without any introduction and they should be able to critique it (unless they’re unfamiliar with the genre/audience, so you’d provide this information as well); and finally the revising stage, where you take said feedback and create a revision plan, updating your project from there. They also tell us how to give feedback, as that’s just as crucial as knowing how to make changes once you receive critiques.

I’ve never broken my writing process down so much, however I feel like this applies to the ePortfolio because, until we graduate from the minor, we will never have a finished product; there may, and will, be finished projects we can point to, however until we add the final project we won’t know the exact layout of the website, we won’t know the exact formatting of which hyperlinks go where. Every one in a while, we’ll finish a project and get a ‘finished product’; however, as soon as we add to the ePortfolio, it will change. Thus, as long as we have a project that we’re working on, we’ll be in a hybrid rough cut/rough draft stage.

I find this to be a comforting thought because it reflects the process of writing. Writing is never really done; even when you have a ‘finished product’ you can look back on your piece several years or even days later and you’ll find something to tweak. It also helps ease the anxiety of doing the re-purposing and re-mediation project at the same time. I’m the kind of person that likes to get one thing done before starting something else, however I’ve been challenged to multitask in both this course and my job writing for The University Record. Hopefully, it will help me grow and teach me better how to manage my time, and at the same time realize that just because I’m starting a different step in the project doesn’t mean I have to be finished with the jumping off point.

2 thoughts to “Drafting and Revising”

1. I actually wrote about similar ideas in my post as well. There are so many smaller moving parts to this project, and it is not quite time yet to think about the final product. I thought about the journey of this project more in the sense of how relieving it was to be told not to think about the final product and to instead focus on the rough journey. However, I love your attention to the idea that a writer’s/creator’s work is never finished. You can always keep evolving pieces, no matter how long it has been, and you can always find something to improve or even just change based on how you have grown. This project definitely allows us to go beyond our comfort zone by multitasking, and it can be scary to think about how our pieces might evolve together rather than separately, and rather than thinking of it as challenging, I am starting to think about it as a new way of developing a work.
    -multi task – allowing pieces to evolve together rather than separately – not moving on