Drafting and Revising My Project

After reading this chapter, I am reminded of the many components that go into making a successful rhetorical situation. Authors need to keep these in mind as they write: what audience the piece is intended for, the purpose of the piece, how the design reflects this purpose, and any genre conventions that may be relevant. Before reading this chapter, I have only been thinking about this in regards to my re-purposing and remediating projects. However, I now realize that in order for my ePortfolio to be cohesive and purposeful, I need to structure it around a rhetorical situation that I still need to think about.

When I think about my ePortfolio as its “own complete composition,” I think about how each piece I upload to my website needs to contribute to a bigger picture I am trying to get across. So far, the pieces that I am going to put up on my ePortfolio strongly convey my values, since they are about the reasons the special place I go with my family every summer is so special. However, as I go forward with adding artifacts (like we talked about in class today), and the “Why I Write” composition, I need to think about how all these parts are going to fit together to create something greater.

This reading also made me think about how it will be important to include my rough cuts for each project. I think that explaining the differences between my rough drafts and final drafts will further the arguments I am making in each piece, and why I made the choices I did. This can also contribute to the overall rhetorical situation of my ePortfolio.

2 thoughts to “Drafting and Revising My Project”

1. I have also just been focused on the two projects that we’ve been working on. I agree that we should start thinking about the rhetorical situations for our ePortfolios, but I also think that when we’ve completed all three of our major projects, figuring out our ePortfolios will be a lot easier. If we work on each piece one at a time, some consistent themes will emerge by the end, which we can convey in our ePortfolio designs. I like the idea of explaining the differences between your drafts and final versions. This will help your audience see your process, which will help them see your overall purpose. Can’t wait to see your scrapbook!

2. Like I said in my blog post, I’ve put all thoughts of my ePortfolio on the back burner until reading this chapter. It’s one thing to think about the audience and rhetorical situation for each individual piece of ours, but it’s a whole new challenge to envision what the overall theme of our ePortfolios will look like. Do you think it’s important that all of your pieces fit together including your third artifact? This is something I’ve been thinking a lot about, because I’m not sure I have a third piece that meshes seamlessly with my re-purposing and re-mediation. You can also think about what values are most important to you that you want to express in your final product.