“Drafting and Revising Your Project”

I guess the reason I have been dreading the ePortfolio is because I cannot picture the final outcome. I have looked at several portfolios of other minors, but there is not one that I have seen that has given me clarity as to what I want mine to look like. Further, I cannot imagine the journey of getting there; it seems from the final products that there are endless possibilities, and so many small moving parts. I understand that the portfolio is very flexible and can be whatever each individual writer wants it to be, but I still am not sure what I want mine to be; all I know is that I want it to be something that I can share with friends, family, employers, and really give those readers some insight into who I really am.

Reading “Drafting and Revising Your Project” gave me more clarity regarding the smaller moving parts. When creating anything, I honestly do not think I have ever thought about anything but a rough draft as a first piece. The idea of a rough cut is really comforting for something like this, and being able to distinguish between a rough cut and a rough draft makes the ePortfolio seem much less intimidating and overwhelming. The rough cut allows me to think about this as a gradual, step by step process, and makes me realize that I do not need to start thinking about the final product; the final product will come naturally from the smaller initial components. Now, I can think about only the rough cut, and all the smaller, imperfect raw materials that I will need to begin this journey.

One thought to ““Drafting and Revising Your Project””

1. I totally agree with you that the ePortfolio seems really intimidating. I, too, want to be able to share this with employers as well as friends and family, so I constantly question my choice of children’s book genre (and my majors and extracurriculars, really; the doubt never ends!). However, I think that it’s important to keep it all in perspective, as I think you’ve started doing. Remembering that it’s all imperfect and that you’re only looking for a rough cut for now takes off some of that pressure. That’s a good way to look at that.
    On a similar note, I think you shouldn’t overthink your ePortfolio. I know this seems contradictory considering it’s importance (as you’ve pointed out), however if you want to truly represent yourself, then your website should reflect your natural thinking process. Do you think you should separate the remediation and repurposing into different tabs and thus show them as more separate rather than showing the remediation building off of the repurposing? You could waffle between the pros and cons of each, or you could follow your gut and make a decision. I think that, generally, your gut decision on this front is more important than picking it all apart, because then the final product will better reflect you. So don’t worry about all the aesthetic details or even what content will be part of it! Whatever you choose at the end of the day will be because you wanted it, and thus it will naturally reflect you as a writer and a person.