Drafting and Revising Your Project

There is a lot of useful technical information in the “Drafting and Revising Your Project” chapter of Writer/Designer. The checklist on page 110, which supplies criteria for a solid rough draft, stands out to me as especially rich information. A lot teachers and instructors assume that students already have systems and methods that they utilize during their process. While this is true, as most students have developed their own methods through habit and experience, advice on how to efficiently navigate the steps of starting a new project is always useful. I’ve learned from experience, and been told countless times, that an organized and coherent process is as important as a successful finished product. I will hold my work to the standard of this checklist while working on my ePortfolio rough draft to make sure that my work is ready for review. This chapter also had some good advice about how to give feedback. For example, readers should familiarize themselves with the rhetorical situation of the text to most effectively evaluate the strengths and weaknesses.

When applying these points of advice to the ePortfolio project, I consider the ways the content of my ePortfolio will affect the rhetorical situation of my ePortfolio as a whole. The collection of work that I include in my ePortfolio will undertake a meaning of its own, just as the individual pieces of a museum exhibition all contribute their own unique tones to the overarching theme of the show. I will asses the rhetorical situations of my individual projects, and design my website based on the way my projects speak together.