Drafting and Revising Your Project

I’m going to have to be honest here. Reading this assignment and the chapter in Writer/Designer ¬†was the first time that it really hit me that the ePortfolio project is its own composition. Looking through ePortfolios from past semesters of Writing 220 students, I thought, “what a nice way to bring together their work from the semester”, and that was that. But now that I thought of it, what was the ePortfolio but just one big multimodal project encompassing the smaller multimodal projects? And I panicked a little inside.

spongebob_brain_fire

Ok maybe more than a little.

But I found that reading did Writer/Designer really seem to help. This was my first hearing of a Rough Cut, as I do not have much experience with constructing multimodal projects.

I personally always seem to have trouble writing rough drafts. It is half my perfectionist nature and half my hatred for revision that causes me to spend an inordinate amount of time on my rough draft in order to reach as close to perfection as possible the first time around. I believe this is also due to the fact that in school we always have seemed to place emphasis on the first draft, and then this magical revision/editing process seems to occur and you end up with your polished final draft. What frightens me is the ambiguity of this middle part. This revision process could involve just a few minor vocabulary tweaks, or it could lead to you rewriting the entire damn assignment.

It was comforting to read this chapter and have the process broken up into Storyboards, then Rough Cuts, then Rough Drafts, and then eventually Final Drafts. I felt safer reading the clearly defined things to look for and steps to follow at each part of the process. I know that writing and creativity are often about feeling free and not being confined within a structure, but I would be lying if I said that I did not thoroughly enjoy structures.

And now that it has been better laid out for me, I can rest easy knowing that I will get through this, and my brain can return to a calmer state.

happy-brain