Drafting and Revising Your Project

Because Drafting and Revising Your Project focuses so heavily on how the writer can prepare themselves for critique and how they can best critique, this chapter gave me a lot of information on how to introduce my EPortfolio ideas to my blog group with the correct level of direction and content.

In the rough cut section, the text says to create enough content that peer reviewers can look through and decide what they like, but not so much that you’re giving them so much crap that they can’t find the good stuff. With this, since my remediation and remodeling projects reflect what I’d like my EPortfolio to look like, I should remember to keep together some of my extra multimodal ideas from those projects and bring them into my EPortfolio Rough Cut.

One of those ideas that didn’t quite work for my multimodal project but might be a good idea for my EPortfolio is some more anecdotal information on myself. I thought of including something more personal in my Remediation on the effect of market place stimuli on the consumer, but looking closer on my audience, it did not seem appropriate; for my EPortfolio, however, it might work because the audience is more interested in me-they’d be on my site-than the general population.

Because of this, I might like to include some media from my student organization and maybe some pieces on less professional fields that are more interesting to me, for example Reflexology or Facilitated Communication.

The Rough Draft section of the text lists a few things to get down before presenting the Rough Draft to the peer editing group. Since I honestly didn’t get much different information from that part than from the Rough Cut section, I went through the different aspects listed to give my peer edit group a better idea of where I’m trying to go.

The intended audience will be employers. I’d like to be able to list the URL on my resume. Because of that, I’m going to need to have milder colors and avoid anything super personal.

The purpose of the EPortfolio is going to be partly to bring together my professional pieces into an easily navigable medium but mostly to make myself want to write more. I think that if I make a nice interconnection through the pieces included in my portfolio, for example starting with¬†marketplace stimuli and from there going to product functionality (instead of something more obvious like marketplace functionality or product stimuli) I’ll have made myself a little path to which if I would like to exercise my writing abilities outside of class in a more creative, less academic way, I can go.

As the genre will be more professional, sources included must be from a database or something comparable in reliability. I still need to look into other genre conventions so that I can know how to change the modality of the EPortfolio to fit..

One thought to “Drafting and Revising Your Project”

1. You and I took very different spins on the question (which I think is a sign of a good question!) and I think we both have something valuable in our responses. You look at the practical aspect of the ePortfolio: this is meant to display our writing for future employers, so the pieces should be geared toward them. This would affect (as you point out) formatting and color choices, for example. You also mention that this site is meant to be more personal, so you are considering making your re-mediation project more personal. I agree with this idea.

I concede, most of my agreement stems from my own blog post, in which I look at the ePortfolio as a continual work-in-progress and thus a reflection of our personal growth as a writer. I think that my view of writing can be more grounded/pragmatic (as my parents often say about my choice of major/different career aspirations and you embody within the post and your general outlook, at least as I’ve seen in our short conversations), however I also think it would be healthy for you to take this time to explore the depths of your writing. This is the introductory course to a minor in the practical instruction of writing; just like the SMTD, which is essentially schooling students in a trade, this course is meant to examine writing from its basic function. Yes, it’s in a fun and creative way (which is also part of its pedagogy), however I think it’s primary goal is to show us the connections between all writing in terms of recognizing audience and genre conventions. We’ve been rewarded for our academic writing all our lives, and thus we are naturally attracted to this genre; however, I think exploring this relationship between genre, audience, and writing by pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and into something less practical will change the way you think about writing in general and ultimately provide you with a better framework to think about writing than just having safe, practical pieces.

In other words, I agree with you! Challenge yourself, and think about this more holistically and theoretically (easier said than done, I know). If anything, I think this would make you stand out in any job hunt rather than be a detriment, and from the rest of our conversations I think you’ll have plenty of other accomplishments and class knowledge to show off your business prowess. Put in perspective in our whole academic career, this project really doesn’t mean much, it’s only what you make of it. So make of it what you want to get out of it!