Going No Where Fast: Zeno and His Pair ‘o docks

I wouldn’t be lying to you when I said I’ve been thinking about Zeno’s Paradox all weekend. To be fair, I don’t know what that say about my personal/social life as a college junior, but I can say that it has gleaned me more questions than answers. During the U-M/Illinois football game, I found my mind wandering to the odd concept we had discussed in class on a touchdown drive. Specifically when our 3rd in goal on the 1 yard line was “halved” due to a Illinois foul. We had then, technically increased our distance to the goal line. But if we only kept moving half the distance to the goal line, the game would be the longest in history.

With a mind reeling from the enormity of infinity (and probably a little from the hard spiced cider I had had before the game), I realized that when you’re playing the game, you don’t think about that. You don’t think about how far away the goal line is. You just move.

So I guess that’s where I’ve ended up. It’s easy to sit back and think about how the journey anywhere could be impossibly long. Infinitely long even. But we aren’t thinking about that. We are thinking about where we are now, how we need to get there, and ultimately, the end point. We just move through all those halves until we reach the whole of our destination.

To be honest, I’m not sure if I’ve ended up somewhere at all. But, I’m at the end point, so I’m going to stop thinking about it now before my brain explodes.