Letter to Future Gateway Students

Welcome to the best decision you’ve made in college (besides getting that one time that you ate No Thai before 9am). This minor is going to challenge you, inspire you, and introduce you to some of the best professors on campus. When I first found the MiW, I was surprised that I had never heard of it before. It’s a hidden gem here at UofM, and I cannot decide if I would want it any other way.

I felt the most challenged when due dates became suggestions and it was my job to stay on track. It is easy to let your ePortfolio sit and sit and sit and sit until it is finals week and you realize you have a shit ton of editing┬áto do still (me currently hahaha). But, don’t worry – I am actually excited about the work I have ahead of me and that’s when you know you made the right decision to minor in Writing.

What surprised me to the most was how comfortable the learning atmosphere was. Shelley is absolutely amazing and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to take a class with her. I have heard nothing but great things about the other MiW professors, either. I am so used to professors who only teach the material and answer questions – the MiW professors are involved in your projects and care about you and what you have to say.

Here’s my practical advice: don’t be afraid to do something that makes you cringe at first. My project was very cringey to me and I second guessed my decision several times before realizing it is exactly what I wanted and needed to be doing. Take a chance on your ePortfolio and see what happens. It is easy to do themes we are comfortable with; take this class as an opportunity to find out about yourself and share your honest work with others. As much time as I spent writing and thinking of my audience, I truly think my audience inadvertently ended up being myself. This course and this minor is what you make of it; don’t let that opportunity go to waste.

If I could do this course over again, I would have started my re-mediation project sooner. RIP y’all – but thrive on the stress and excitement of creating!

Take care & write & be awkward & be forward –

Anna