Never Complete

If one thinks I could narrow down how I write to a single method, they would be wrong. The language. The tone. The structure. My choices in writing all vary and revolve around one idea: the audience. However, no matter who the audience is, my writing trends seem to remain the same since all of my audiences create a foundation for me to achieve and explain a purpose. I could be creating a personal journal, composing an academic piece, or simply writing a letter to a friend, but my desire to constantly perfect my writing is present at all times.

I always go for the shitty first draft to start my writing to reduce the stress of having to create my hopefully next best piece. There could be commas in the middle of the page or sentences that look like my own foreign language, but to me, my ideas are as clear as can be and will somehow make its way into legible phrases that hold meaning. Yes, I am one of those people who loves to crank out an eight-page draft in one day and find this work to be sufficient. I typically spend an entire Saturday lying in my bed with my favorite Target bedrest pillow. Without this disorganization, I would be limiting my imagination to throw ideas onto the page and not be able to evolve a basic idea into something more complex or purposeful.

I’ll wait a couple of days before looking at this writing again. I rarely panic at this phase because my ideas are already created and I know that my writing can always be improved, whether it is the second draft or the fifth. Adding a slight tonal shift here or a structure change there, there are infinite ways to improve one’s work. That’s why I believe that there is not necessarily a right or wrong way to writing. My biggest struggle is not to decide whether my writing is ‘good’ enough, but rather to decide if my writing can be deemed complete. I decide that if the audience is able to understand why the author chose to write the piece and its purpose of being written, then I am content with leaving my writing alone. But still, realistically, whose writing can ever actually be considered as complete?