Writing 220 Introduction: Adele Gendron

Hello, it’s me, Adele Gendron. Besides having the same name as a famous singer, another fact about me is that I am sophomore here at the University of Michigan majoring in Communication Studies. I have always had a passion for writing, whether that be for school or pleasure. When I heard about the Minor in Writing program, I knew it would be a good match.

Portrait by Kristen Elizabeth Photography

Why I chose the Minor in Writing?

Writing has always been a part of my life. Growing up in the beautiful Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I would write stories of summers filled with tourists and life on the lake. I loved translating what I saw into words and what I felt into sentences. This became part of my academic work as well. After I am given a prompt, I start to have strong feelings about what I will write. I have found that both academic and creative work is therapeutic for me.

However, I didn’t chose MiW solely because of the therapy sessions it will give me. With my major and future career, writing will no doubt be a part of the job, whether that writing comes in the form of communications plans, blog posts, tweets, or reports. My hope is that the Minor in Writing will better equip and grow my writing in these areas.

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (right in my hometown)

Inspirations?

My list of inspirations could be very long and I will not bore you with it. But I look up to authors such as J.K. Rowling, Margaret Atwood, Jennifer Brown, John Green, Lois Lowry and Madeleine L’Engle. Just to name a few. I adore musicals such as Hamilton: An American MusicalNext to NormalAnnie, and more. I’m also very much into films, to the point of having competitions about who can guess the most wins correctly at an awards show. Favorites include Whiplash, UP, Short Term 12, and The Little Mermaid. I love how a movie, book, or musical can take you to a place you have not experienced and tap into emotions you didn’t know were there.

Portrait ft. HP by Garnet Photography (Sarah Schultz)

What I Do?

Here at UMich, I am involved in the Christian organization Cru. In this group, I serve on the Social Media Team as the Instagram Manager (follow @michigancru for more.) If you or someone you know is interested in learning more about this organization head to michigancru.com or come to the Union Ballroom on Thursday night at 8pm! Besides Cru, I enjoy spending time with my friends, being the world’s hungriest picky eater, wandering around the botanical gardens, and volunteering.

Cru’s All Campus Gathering, every Thursday night at 8pm
Botanical Gardens!

For Now,

Adele Gendron