WRITING 220 Introduction: Jessica Gomes-Ng

Hey!

I’m Jess, and I’m a junior majoring in Musical Theatre and minoring in…lots of suspense here…Writing!

I’m from Auckland, New Zealand. My family and my puppy (aka the love of my life) reside there:

Outside of my major, I’m interested in a bunch of different things, including travel, photography, fashion, and community service!

When I was little, I used to write unfinished draft after unfinished draft of stories. I loved (and still love) reading. I’ve always had a strong interest in writing, and I was pretty confident I would be an English major in college. But in my junior/senior year of high school, I had this truly uninspiring teacher who made me fall out of love with the idea of studying English in college, and I ended up pursuing other avenues.

That all changed when I came to U of M! Aside from completing UMich’s standard writing requirements, I ended up enrolling in Dr. John Rubadeau’s ENG425 class. This class was truly quite transformative for me. I loved every minute in it, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is even remotely interested (or even anyone who isn’t — he’ll change your mind) in writing.

Last year, I realized that I’m very passionate about getting my voice out there! Not only am I interested in songwriting, but I also am so fascinated by how technology has changed the way that literature & writing is shared with the world. I trust that this minor will help me to further develop my voice and become a versatile writer, reader, and thinker.