My meeting with the VP

n response to an open letter I wrote last semester, read here, considering the systematic discrimination of the school blood drives, I met with UM’s Vice President Royster Harper. While we did not reach the outcome that I’d hoped for, I was advocating for the University to shift its position on the issue and to acknowledge the marginalization of a minority of the student body, I gained insight into how the politics of a University operate. Officially, the University of Michigan maintains its support for the discriminatory FDA regulations on blood donation since the medical consultation of the board believes that the discrimination is “appropriate”. While I cannot say enough that I disagree, I understand that, right now, there is nothing the VP can do. She did offer her departments financial support of any educational event, lecture, or talk considering the issue–which is in the direction of progress. Hopefully, I can find some other students on campus who feel strongly about this issue to work with to curate such an event. Stay tuned for more on this…