Why I Write Reflection

After browsing the internet, the first piece that I came across was by Zetta Elliott. Her “Why I Write” was incredibly moving. Elliott begins by describing what it means to be a person of color. She follows that by conveying what it means to be a child. Growing up as a black child, she bridges race and age and delves into her childhood. She becomes vulnerable with the reader, sharing the pain that her parents’ divorce caused her. She brings her piece full circle by stating, “I write books my parents never had the chance to read to me. I write the books I wish I had had as a child.” Another piece that I found was by Oliver Miller, a clearly much less popular writer. He writes a less polished essay about why he writes, but—in doing that—tells and shows the reader how he writes. He quotes favorite authors, describes the substances he consumes before and while writing, and talks about the art of procrastination.

While it was nice to read these “non famous authors’ essays, it was equally interesting to read the work of my peers. I read Zach Carlson’s and Louis Goldsmith’s pieces. Both spoke of personally stories and journeys.  Zach wrote in an honest, genuine way. He spoke about how writing lets him escape, vent, cry. As someone who is thinking about my own piece, I appreciated his frankness; it created a natural voice.

After reading a multitude of “Why I Write” essays, all starkly varying from the next, I appreciated different aspects from different authors. Elliott is one who certainly focuses on her process/journey as a person and draws on personal background. Miller spoke of the physical writing process and what went through his head while writing. Zach wrote from raw emotions. Louis writes to tell stories. Perhaps, when writing my own “Why I Write,” I can borrow certain techniques from these authors in order to ultimately impact my reader.