Infographics

I’ve chosen to rework my original text in the genre of infographics. The original text, a speech about paid family leave, is already formatted to be point driven. So, I should be able to maintain this deliberate concision. Though separately, a tangible rendition will give the text a greater sense of permanence. This’ll let the text reach a greater audience – a common concern regarding this topic.

So, let’s talk how to go about this ish.

Infographics should never be printed. Just don’t do it. Because then it’s like a pamphlet. And the only thing pamphlets are good at is being accidentally left in your pockets when you do laundry, ruining your pants and day. So, skip that. Digital mediums are also easier to share, allowing the text to reach a broader audience, hence a common avenue for infographic creators. But the pockets/pamphlets thing is important too.

However, spatial organization is still important for digital texts. Consider how this blog is formatted. It has a defined width, and continues down as far as necessary. This is done to preserve the visual and cognitive flow of the text for the reader. Infographics ought to do this too. To be most effective, it’s important to

pace and space your argument

well, so it’s not interrupted or awkward. (See?)

Staying digital also lets you incorporate different media within your text. You can use images to create a theme. Keeping your content thematic makes your text’s argument more consistent, and hopefully memorable. Another medium to consider is hyperlinks. They’re a convenient way to include different voices within the text. This can establish credibility, by providing corroborating evidence. Or you can use them to cite your own sources, if you’re into that.

Infographics usually rely on the “facts and figures” of the matter. This is a key aspect regarding the content of the text. Quotes, statements and statistics are the most concise way to reach your audience in this situation. Remember that members of your audience may be uninformed, unfriendly, or just passive. Using these tools helps deal with that.

So, audience – this part’s important. This topic doesn’t regularly surface in the news or casual conversation, which is often the case for many infographics. So, their intent is to be captivating, concise and compelling, considering the need for efficiency within the text. I guess the audience is usually the passive, Facebook-scrolling person, who’ll hopefully be swayed, or at least informed, by the text. The author should be aware of this convention, and make an effort to make their text memorable.

Infographics, paid family leave – we’ll see how it goes. I think it’ll be an effective avenue to convey the same ideas within my original text, in a more visually focused, tangible medium.

One thought to “Infographics”

1. Derek – very compelling post! While I’ve seen an infographic or two before, I’m not entirely familiar with the affordances and conventions of the genre. You did a great job of giving advice and also letting your voice come through to keep the blog post entertaining. I appreciated how you broke up the formatting (by bolding, different spacing) to make your point and keep readers interested. In regards to your audience, how do you plan on making the information attainable and entertaining to the average Facebook user? I think that personally, since I am not very informed on the topic of paid family leave, an infographic would be the perfect way to learn about it. Looking forward to seeing the next steps in your experiment!