Blogs N’ Such

For my third experiment, I’m writing a blog post to discuss paid leave. Blogs are great for a lot of things. They lay at the peculiar intersection of personal and private writing – a tricky spot to be in. Blogs are like online diaries, at their heart. They’re usually expressive, rather than informational. And this happens in flux because of this issue of audience. Blogs have issues communicating their points if they don’t properly consider who they’re writing to. Usually, the more expressive and personal approach means a more niche audience. It takes a lot to be universally engaging without being trite. This genre can fail its author if not handled well. It provokes self expression to a certain limit of alienation of a potentially passive audience. To avoid this issue, here are some pointers.

Use plain language.

Be deliberate with your prose. Write as if talking to a close friend. Not that you have to make yourself super vulnerable or whatever, but be consistent and honest with your dialectic to most comfortably deliver your message and let the audience know your voice/thoughts.

Understand your audience.

Blogs can be personal – I know. But remember that folks may actually be reading. Different choices in writing work in different situations, for different people.

Stay focused and have a point.

Really personally, occasionally rambling writing can be great. Sometimes (usually) it can be a bit much. If you’ve ever read Dave Eggers’ A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, you might know what I mean. People can get lost in your train of thought. Your thoughts may sound cohesive and logical in your head, but that doesn’t always translate when written, Dave. If that’s part of your style or point, fine. Just know I’ve probably started skimming. Anyways…so ya…be careful. *deliberate rambling*

Consider your position within the conversation.

You’re presenting one voice, your own, to be among many others. Your blog post is a monologue in part of an ongoing conversation. Think about who you are within the context of the discussion. What does your perspective mean regarding your point, other people’s points?

I’m trying to step into the blogosphere, as a voice in an ongoing conversation that I arguably am not meant to be in. But, that’s part of the point. Blogs are a mean for people to share their take, express oneself and understand one’s situational relations with others. So in this case, I’m expressing the voice of an ally – a role that my blog post is going to show is important. I’m writing a blog post, leaning on the blogosphere community of people who think they aren’t part of this discussion, but who I’m saying should be. In doing so, I’ll try to write to the presumably male third party, to make the point that paid leave is everyone’s issue.