Tracking an Author

Back to Margaret Talbot, I read one of her articles entitled “Why It’s Become So Hard To Get An Abortion.” Talbot first begins with the political nature of the issue. explaining how President Trump agreed that women who have had abortions should be punished on MSNBC. She then gave a brief history of anti-abortion laws through the work of Carol Sanger, a professor of law at Columbia. Sanger explains how the Right to Know laws have yielded a new form of modern consent–ultrasound laws. However, these laws, which require a woman to look at the fetus before having an abortion are both senseless and ineffectual; nearly sixty percent of women who have abortions have already given birth once, and of those who view sonograms, ninety-eight percent continue with the abortion anyway. In fact, sonograms often have the opposite effect (since most abortions occur in the first trimester, women feel often feel relieved when they are unable to see anything more than fluid in a sac). Talbot also recounts Sanger’s history of SCOTUS’s interpretation of abortion laws and the court process necessary to get “approval” for an abortion when a woman does not have viable parental guardians or is a ward of the state.

She then turns to her own tale, revealing that she had an abortion when she was eighteen and attending UC Berkeley.  A year later, she went undercover as a journalist for the university paper to a crisis pregnancy center. Only she learned that the crisis center was just another form of anti-abortion campaigning; instead of unconditional support, she was told that she might have to take some years off of school but at least she would not have to endure a lifetime of guilt.

Talbot raises interesting questions for abortion law, specifically abortion law on campus. During high school, I knew exactly where to go if I required one and what level of confidentiality I would be afforded. But years later, now in college, I could not tell you where I would go at U of M or in Ann Arbor. Hmmm.