Challenge Journal 1: Getting Jazzed Up

So this is it. The beginning of a semester long extravaganza involved around creating a capstone project, something substantial to epitomize my experience as a minor in writing.

Do I know what I want to do for this project, where I could (almost) literally do whatever I want?

Oh god no. I think I would have a better time picking a topic at random from a hat and doing whatever I draw as my project.

So before I haphazardly fling myself into this coffee filled and keyboard-breaking task, it’s probably a good idea to figure out how to jazz myself up.

I like to get jazzed up. Helps gets me motivated.

But here’s the kicker: I got to think of a way to constantly jazz myself up, figure out a practice to continue to give myself some pep well into the future. That, or I try to do the entirety of the project all in one day and REALLY jazz myself up beforehand, something which I can say from firsthand experience is not fun (I try to have fun with these things: fun and jazz are a pretty good combo). In other words, I need a jazzing ritual.

This is not my first time with a troublesome prompt like this though. English 325, sophomore year, essay 3: Write an essay on a topic of your choosing (!). Although this “essay” didn’t have to be a stereotypical essay, I still had no idea what I wanted to write about for that, let alone what form I wanted it to take.

So I played some Frisbee. I put all my concerns behind me, and ran outside tossing a plastic disc for about an hour and a half. Afterwards, while rinsing myself off from a hard-fought battle of disc chasing, I decided upon writing a poem. It was a start. I got really jazzed up over that—don’t think I wrote a poem for a college class before, so that put some pep in my step/fingers.

So the bigger question is if I am willing to go outside and play some Frisbee to figure out an idea for my capstone project, to follow through with my previous ritual.

It’ll probably be a good way to give my keyboard a break.

Robert Molnar

Just someone who enjoys Netflix, music, and tennis. I also write a little.