Challenge Journal 1: I don’t do Rituals

I don’t do rituals. They freak me out. I feel like I am more of a “going with the flow” kind of person, especially when it comes to writing. I don’t really like rituals as I feel like, if I had rituals before writing and I forgot to do one thing that is part of my “writing ritual” then I would not be able to write because I probably could not stop thinking about it. To me, rituals are like a “To-Do List” that you never actually finish and hate yourself for a while because of it.

I know that there are things that I do most of the time when I am about to write a paper or writing it but I can’t say that I do this all the time and that it matters to me whether or not I am doing those things. I merely am aware of this because of an essay I had to write in my Capstone Class “How I Write.” Even at the time, I had a hard time coming up with a list of things that I do as a writer because it is never the same. The only thing that I can say for sure that I do is thinking. Not really revolutionary but apart from that I can’t really come up with something.

I don’t write at the same place all the time, I don’t always write on the same laptop or in the same notebook, I don’t always have the same drink or food, sometimes I listen to music sometimes I don’t, sometimes I write everything at once and sometimes I write every other day. So yes, the only thing I actually do and could maybe count as a ritual if we are really flexible with what counts as a ritual is that I think.