Sorry I’m late, I thought I published this but never did.

Looking over the writing I’ve done in the past couple of years, I couldn’t establish any set thing I did in order to get any of these projects off the ground.

In other words, I don’t have any rituals. I wish I did and I’ve tried very hard to think of some but then it felt too forced and I also wasn’t very inspired so all I could think of is making myself a cup of tea. I try to listen to music when I write but if I’m honest, as of the past month or so, I haven’t really been able to write even with all of the music I usually turn to (Fleetwood Mac, Lorde, and Elton John mostly).

I thought having to do this blog post could prompt some inspiration while I tried out different rituals when I sat down to write, but instead, I started panicking even more than I have been when faced with a blank page.

Most of the writing I’ve done in the past few years has been creative non-fiction that has come straight from my life which can come quite easily from memory — like Joan Didion spoke about in one of her essays (or at least I think it was her) you can watch it like a movie in your head and then just describe the movie. Maybe that’s my ritual for writing (at least my non-fiction) — replaying the movie in my head.