Oliver’s Challenge Journal 3

When you first begin to create a story, an idea pops up in your head. You get excited, and you develop that idea further. The idea seems bullet proof and there appears to be no way in which it could go wrong. However, once you have to actual create an entire outline for your story, things get difficult. This is the stage of which I am at now. I am writing a screenplay and just finished completing the treatment for that screenplay. However, there seems to be many areas now in the story that I am unsure of. There also seems to be holes in that aren’t filled proficiently enough.

I’ve dealt with this experience before. I remember writing an outline for a personal narrative essay I was working on for ENG 325. Although this wasn’t a screenplay, I was still attempting to tell a story. I got past this hurdle by continuing onward and writing up a first draft. After writing that first draft I was able to see where the major holes were in the essay, and where I needed to tighten things up, or change completely. As I kept writing and re writing the story got better and better.
Right now, I think I just have to be patient in this process. It is hard to write a screenplay – much less a very good one, even if I’m only shooting for 20 pages. But if I can harp back on this experience and trust that it will continue to improve with each draft, I can have the confidence that I need to finish the script strong.

2 thoughts to “Oliver’s Challenge Journal 3”

1. Oliver- Your thought about trusting the process tells me that you’re fully in control of this project. When I find holes in my work, I tend not to move on until I’ve filled them, which completely hinders the pace of my work and is wholly frustrating. So I already think you’re in a better place than I would be. I’ve also found that it can be incredibly useful to let things sit for a while, even if the imperfections are nagging you. If you put the opening or a certain scene away and come back to it a week or even a few weeks later, you may have a better idea of what needs fixing. The space you’ve created usually allows you to have a clearer mind. Your solutions may even end up being more creative!
    Good Luck!
    Emily

2. Hey, Oliver. This blog post actually made me feel a whole lot better about my process of creation. I’m shooting for a 25-30 page realistic fiction piece, and part of getting to that amount of content is writing drafts that don’t live up to expectations. Your faith that pushing forward even when you’re not happy with what you’ve written puts my mind at ease a little bit; my writing WILL improve if I let my draft breathe a little and come back to it with fresh eyes. Hours deep in a caffeine-fueled work session is not the best time to reread and critique my own material.

What I want to know from you is whether or not you think there’s a wall to be hit in terms of improvement. After a certain amount of revisions, when is it time to give up and move on to the next thing that needs to be worked on? I’m of the mind that the biggest obstacle facing us Capstone students is a time limit; I think quality can always be ratcheted up a notch with reviews and edits. However, I’d like to know your thoughts on how to balance a drive for perfection with a realistic set of expectations for time management.