I don’t have a title for this post, or my website…yet!

As I’ve been working on my website this week, I’ve been struggling with the challenge of finding a catchy title.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with my project, my website’s purpose is share my stories about the highs and lows of pursuing music at college, and also to generate honest conversations with others about their experiences.

Originally I was thinking about something along the lines of “The Independent Artist”, since I want to focus on what it looks like to maintain confidence while being closely watched and shaped by teachers. However, now I’m looking for something more wholistic, if that makes sense.

After speaking with my mentor, my capstone teacher, and my entire capstone class, the general consensus was that “musician” needed to be in the title to avoid confusion. Otherwise, “artist” is just too broad and might suggest that I am a painter. Additionally, since my stories are specific to the musician life, it just makes sense to narrow in on that audience. So, I guess I’m heading in the direction of “The ______ musician”.

To be honest, I’m a bit frustrated with myself, because I didn’t have an issue finding a title for my 220 project last year, which was called Refuel My Day (see here). I  started calling it “ReFuel”, and then changed it because I wanted it to be a place for people to visit daily. The title came pretty naturally because it literally described what the site was meant to do. I am encouraged for my current project though, since I spoke with my capstone teacher today about mind-mapping (apparently this is a Joan Didion exercise). I haven’t done this since high school, but I’m going to give it a go again tonight and see what happens. Hopefully I’ll have a new and improved site title by our last class on Tuesday! Wish me luck!

2 thoughts to “I don’t have a title for this post, or my website…yet!”

1. Bekah! I totally feel you on this. I, too, am struggling with my title. I am not entirely pleased with it and don’t know where to turn. However, I really like your title “The {Independent} Artist.” But, I do understand the change to “Musician.” I wonder if there are other words you could play with that give the same idea. I looked-up, as I am sure you have, the synonyms for ‘independent’ and ‘escape’ popped up.

I don’t know why this caught my eye, but I wonder if you could play around with this idea of escaping constraints of self-doubt and also escaping the world by playing music. Immediately I thought of “The Escape Artist,” but I know you are now looking into using “Musician.”

BUT – then I googled, “The art of escaping,” and found this: “Escapology is the practice of escaping from restraints or other traps. Escapologists (also classified as escape artists) escape from handcuffs, straitjackets, cages, coffins, steel boxes, barrels, bags, burning buildings, fish-tanks, and other perils, often in combination.”

I am not entirely sure where I am going with this – but I hope this sets off some ideas in your head about other words you could use to explain your project’s purpose.

Let’s chat Tuesday!

2. Hey Bekah!

I have to say, simply the aesthetics of your site are powerful… and the writing is even more so. So then, I understand the importance of having an empowering title to tie it all together. As I read your small intro paragraph that pops up when you click on the site, I was struck by one word: “impressionable”. I think impressionable means that you’re learning about the profession, your views about the present and future are always changing — and I think that’s a lot of what your site contains. So, my suggestion would be “The Impressionable Musician” if you really do believe you need a change in title. But, regardless of your choice (to change it or leave it) I think your site will make an impression on any young musician that comes across it!