Welcome to the Minor in Writing! You are in for quite the ride, don’t worry I mean that in a fun way. Throughout this semester under the instruction of T in the gateway to the MiW, I have definitely grow as a writer. I have been exposed to genres of writing that I originally did not even think were genres—photoessays, songs, zines, children’s books, etc. I have met countless incredible writers and have written in my journal more than I have ever in my life. This semester may have been tough at times, but it was well worth the struggles. Here are a few tips and tricks to making your own gateway semester incredible!
- Try new things, go out of your creative comfort zone.
- Keep a journal, it’ll be fun to look back on one day and it helps you grow as a writer.
- Talk to your instructor about your life outside of class. Talk to them about your writing and new things you are reading.
- Get to know yourself and others through this class.
- Know your work will change and things won’t go as expected. It is all part of the fun!
- Talk to your classmates! Get to know them! Make a group chat to ask questions in.
- Enjoy yourself!