What I mean when I say “I am a writer”

To write means to write, a verb, but saying “I am a writer” does not simply carry the action over.

As of now, this is what I think me being a writer means:

To share a piece of me, a thought, an opinion, an idea, with the world. That is an improbable spurt of energy that could have come from me because I am a reserved person. But to be a writer means I am letting the world know I exist and I have things to say. I am not always correct but whatever I say right now holds true of me right now. Ask me again tomorrow, and whatever is true today might not be anymore tomorrow. Writing means I am willing to place my inner monologues out there and let that be heard. So, calling myself a writer and appending that noun to my name and identity means I am ready to set a foot in the world that is, for once, other than my own. It is time I step out and let the world step in. (Yikes!)

One thought to “What I mean when I say “I am a writer””

1. “That is an improbable spurt of energy that could have come from me because I am a reserved person.”

^^^^this line. I agree with this so much, because I feel we can see this happen in class, especially when you talk about your writing. I can also relate to this line on a personal level. College has definitely made me less reserved than before, but I always have used writing as an outlet for those “inner monologues,” because sometimes we wanna say things, but we don’t always want others to hear.