Who’s Your Audience?

I feel like my project was a weird one in terms of figuring out audience. My project was focused on the creation of a design proposal for the new location of the peer writing center. The proposal itself is meant for the administration. However, figuring out the audience for the overall capstone was more of a struggle.

I think my struggles with audience and genre went together (read about my dilemma of genre here). I didn’t think that anything I created would belong in the academic writing center canon. I played around with the idea of having the audience be other peer writing consultants (especially the ones in the design committee I led). But, after our first meeting, I realized that getting people to do extra readings outside of class was a pipe dream. And so, I was kind of stuck.

A lot of the time, I have come to realize, things are only realized after they are attempted. My process this semester was essentially this:

1.) I would do the research and figure out how to start thinking about design

2.) Figuring out how to get a small committee of other consultants up to speed faster than it took me without requiring them to do the same research

3.) Having discussions about our center specifically in order to diagnose what’s working well and what isn’t

4.) WRITING THE PROPOSAL

It took until late March to write the proposal. And, finally, once we had gotten to that point I realized that we had so much more to say than we were able to put on the page. I had been stressing myself out by thinking about all of the things I would have to create to supplement the proposal in my capstone project and didn’t think about the fact that the proposal was the project.

Project description taken from my annotated bibliography:

I will begin by outlining the problem (new writing center space) then go into what the mission/purpose of our writing center is. Then, mirroring discussions we’ll be having in the writing center, I will describe our current center and how well it serves the mission/purpose. I will then share the steps we will take to create a proposal for the new center while sharing some resources. The conclusion of the project will be the design proposal and a letter describing how well this process worked out for us.

We ended up covering a lot of this in our actual proposal. But, what we didn’t get to add were all of the stories and anecdotes that came up during the process of design. And, because I want to make sure they still get shared with future consultants, I’ll be adding some into my project. 

One thought to “Who’s Your Audience?”

1. Regina,

I really enjoyed reading your post about audience as I have went through a similar trajectory in my own capstone. I am creating a podcast about how sport impacts people and how teams are almost extensions of one’s self for “super fans.”

Upon originally writing down and editing a set of questions to ask the respondents, I began thinking if only those who interacted with sport as a fanatic could relate to them. I realized this may be the case. This shift has resulted in, I think, better interviews. While I completely understand the fact that because one’s dad is a Yankees fan, they are a Yankees fan, some may not. I want to pry these types of answers to allow everyone to understand each topic we discuss. Thus, I realized that my project would work best if I worked to make it understood by a vast audience.

Additionally, I really enjoyed how you took us “behind the curtain” to see how your project has shifted throughout the semester. This made me curious as to hoe these adjustments occurred. Were they suggested by classmates? Did you begin down one road and realize that a shift may work best for your final proposal?

Overall, I am really excited to see how your project has shifted since your in class workshop and view your final piece.

Louis