words of wisdom from the not-so wise

Ahem. Brace yourself.

To the future writing minors,

First off, welcome.

You are going to have a time, trust me. How that time is…that’s what you make of the minor. I can offer some tips, some warnings, some insight to the amazing work you all will be doing in the coming semester. Brace yourself — whatever you thought about writing, it’s gonna change. Maybe a little. Maybe a lot. Regardless, it will change. For me, writing is much more pervasive than I ever imagined. The gateway showed me I can pretty much apply writing to anything and call it a project, as long as I do so with intent and purpose.

As you’ll see, you will reimagine an old work in three different genres via these mini projects. I encourage you to fully experiments with these. It may seem or feel daunting at first, but I promise you, the experiments will be so much more worth it in the end as long as you truly try and give yourself to your work. The minor’s all about stepping outside of your comfort zone.

That being said, don’t half-ass. You all applied to this program, so give it your all. Yes, it may feel overwhelming at times (you will write a lot obviously), but it’s ok, you got this. Leslie Knope’s giving you two thumbs up.

Fully engage with your class to get the most out of your gateway experience. Talk to other students.┬áSome of my best ideas came from the lovely conversations I had with peers. Meet with your professor (T is amazing. I couldn’t have pulled off my final project without her guidance). So when you have questions, ask because your classmates and your professors are there to help you.

Ok, I’m getting off my soapbox. You all have an wonderful class head. I wish you the best.