Project Pitch: Advertising Storylines

Retrieved from: https://www.danodonnell.me/884688365675/

Today’s pitching session was definitely more challenging that I expected; it was one thing to write all my ideas down on paper, but it was an entirely new experience trying to verbalize them to my peers. Part of the problem, I think, was because I wasn’t fully sold on any of my ideas myself. Of course, at the time they were conceived, I thought they were interesting, but the more I tried to plan their actual execution, the more I began to second guess myself. This isn’t a new feeling, however; I think any writer can sympathize with me when I say that the more you try to write, the harder it gets.

Beyond questioning my production plan, I was primarily concerned that other people wouldn’t find my ideas interesting enough. For this reason, I was shocked by the outpouring of enthusiasm and support I received after sharing, specifically towards my commercial-based idea. To be honest, I was completely winging it on that idea; writing storylines for commercials and advertisements has always been a hobby of mine, but I never thought anyone would actually hear my ideas unless I was asked to pitch them in an interview.

Moreover, hearing everyone’s feedback reinvigorated my excitement about this project, and made me feel significantly more confident in my work. It’s funny because my second idea was to write a personal narrative — which in theory should be much more difficult because it requires a great deal of honesty and vulnerability — but it was actually more nerve-racking to present my commercial pitch instead. Maybe after years of writing personal narratives (even when they were never read by others) I’ve subconsciously become more comfortable and confident in that style of writing, even when I’ve written about things that are not so comfortable. It’s a weird paradigm to process.

Anyway, I’m really excited about pursuing my commercial idea further and to continue receiving feedback from the class; it’s amazing how just a few moments of conversation can spark so many new ideas. It’s hard to explain, but usually when I’m creating these storylines in the car I get tunnel vision almost — the adrenaline induced by my sudden influx of creativity blocks out everything else and I’m completely zoned in on creating the perfect pitch. By the end, I feel almost high with excitement, imagining it playing out on a big screen, and that same rush is exactly what I felt leaving class. I’m shocked because my parents and siblings have heard so many of these they’re almost numb to them, but to be encouraged by people who aren’t required to support me / tell me my ideas are good is an incredibly exciting feeling, so I can’t wait to see how this project turns out.

One thought to “Project Pitch: Advertising Storylines”

1. Hey Brynn! I know this post was sooo long ago, and since this you have thought of new ideas and then circled back again to advertising. I just wanted to express that I’m so glad you did come back to this, because reading your old post shows just how excited / set you were and are on pursuing an advertising theme!

I appreciate what you mean about your family and friends becoming numb to your ideas because they hear them so often. The great thing about pitching them in this class / context is that most of us rarely get to hear about advertisements in their infant stages, so the material will be fresh and fun for all of us.

Plus, if I were you, I would find freedom in the fact that we do not have any marketing statistics in front of us to narrow down your advertising possibilities. In my marketing classes (which I nearly failed, so please correct me if I’m wrong), we discussed how advertisers often work from an “ideal” customer as their audience (ex. a 35-year-old single mom of 2 who works at State Farm and drives a pickup truck). Since you are advertising based off of your own ideas, you won’t be tied to these constraints as you might when you start work. From what I’ve heard, this is where the best advertising begins – Steve Jobs did no market research and had no target customer when he began advertising the home computer.

So, in all, I just wanted to say I’m really excited to see where you are led as you create advertisements without restrictions. I think through this lens you will develop ideas which resonate the masses, not just some imaginary target customer.