Sophie Kalt Introduction

Hi! My name is Sophie Kalt and I am in Julie Babcock’s gateway into the Writing Minor class. Writing has always been a passion of mine so I am excited to broaden my writing skills and creativities in this class. I am a junior at the University of Michigan majoring in Communications and minoring in Writing and Sales. I have lived in Chicago, IL my whole life. My great grandfather, grandfather, and my parents went to Michigan, and now me and my younger sister go to Michigan. Having so much of my family go to the University of Michigan was a reason why getting in was such a dream for me. I have grown up going to Michigan football games and eating Zingerman’s sandwiches. I also have a 1 year old puppy named Penny, who is a huge part of our family. She is like the fourth sister in my family.

I love to read. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. Two of my favorite books include, The Nightingale and Once We Were Brothers. I also love to run. I ran track and cross country in high school and running continues to be something I do daily. At school, I am a brand ambassador for a spin studio on campus, as well as a writer for Her Campus. Over the summer, I interned at a recruiting technology company called Built In, where I was able to write articles weekly about tech news happening in Chicago and other major cities. This internship gave me great exposure into the content and marketing world and helped me better know what I want in my career.

2 thoughts to “Sophie Kalt Introduction”

1. I also love reading and sometimes love running (kind of a love-hate relationship). In terms of historical fiction, if you’ve never read The Kitchen House, it’s a really great book that I’d highly recommend. The Alienist is also a great book; it’s more so a mystery/thriller, but has a lot of historical fiction elements as well. I’ve always really loved history as well as English/reading and used to read a lot of historical fiction but I haven’t read much historical fiction lately, so let me know if you come across any really good books. As for running, I started running last year, loved it, got a stress fracture, then had to do physical therapy and slowly progress back into running. I’m back to running now, but sometimes I get really tired/bored/shin splints, so I’m trying to work past that right now–let me know if you have any tips!

2. Part of the reason I went to Michigan was because I had a lot of family connections- my mom and dad met here, my sister just graduated from here, and my aunt lives about a mile off campus. I’m actually pretty glad that I came here instead of my second choice (Villanova) because there is a sense of familiarity here that I really loved.