More Than Just a “Thing”

Everyone has a “thing”–that one special talent or skill or interest that makes an individual recognizable among a group of people. For as far back as I can remember, writing has always been that thing for me. Enjoying writing is not a groundbreaking interest, but it still made me an anomaly among my friends and family. Once my parents realized that their daughter was not, in fact, a math and science superstar, they were actually incredibly encouraging of my interest in reading and writing. I grew up in Montville, New Jersey, and I have been blessed with some incredible English teachers throughout high school who helped me progress my expository and narrative writing abilities. I decided to pursue the Minor in Writing to further develop my love for writing and push the boundaries of the genres that I’m comfortable with. I anticipate majoring in Public Policy or Political Science and then going to law school, which are all fields that rely heavily on the written word. Due to how integral it is to my career, writing is now more than just a “thing” for me–it is the foundation of everything I plan to do for a long time.

For my origin piece, I decided to use a reflective narrative that I wrote for English 124 during my freshman year. It’s about Christmas Day during my senior year of high school, when I got into an argument with my parents over college applications and ended up spending the whole day in the city with my best friend. I really enjoyed writing this piece because I hadn’t really had an opportunity to explore a personal story in my writing since high school. I originally wrote it with the intention of focusing on my relationship with my best friend, but there are some interesting themes in there about parenting and the parent/child dynamic, along with other possible threads. I think it will be a good way to start my experimentation because it gives me room to explore different topics & genres; I may even do a photo essay about different subjects’ relationships with their parents. I look forward to working with this origin piece and seeing where this project ultimately ends up.