Blog Post 2: A Day In The Life of a Journaler

For this piece, I am going to be looking at a writer who posts regularly on their blog on the website: Open Diary. This person doesn’t have a real name available, but rather goes by mythinking. This person is not a professional journaler, and mentioned that they recently started a startup company with some of their friends (and didn’t go into any more detail).

Since this writer is not formally a writer, and does a very specific type of writing—journaling—the answer to some of the questions might be slightly different. First off, the author ‘conducts’ research by simply being aware of the thoughts in their head and deciding to write them down. Almost everyone has strong thoughts and feelings, but not everyone writes them down. Journalers, however, take the time and energy to constantly write down what they are thinking and feeling, so surveying oneself and being aware of the emotions in one’s head is the bulk of the ‘research’ done by these writers.

Journalists usually don’t publish their work, but rather write it in their private journals (like I do). However, since these journals were published online, it offers a window into someone’s life. These journal/diary entries that are online are usually published on journal or diary blog sites, where one can sign up for an account on one of the many sites and then have a platform to journal.

Journals are usually very stream of conscious, so when the writers have ideas, they usually write them down. Personally, I journal once a day, and can see that these writers for the most part are doing the same thing. The word ‘published’ is an interesting one in this case because yes they are publishing their work on their sites (by clicking the publish button), so publish means something slightly different in this case. They are not getting published by anyone, but rather by themselves. Again, not much stands between idea and publication, except for the actual action of writing their feelings down.

These writers and ‘journalists’ do get to write about whatever they want, and are very very honest with their writing. They don’t get paid because these aren’t professional jobs, but rather places to just get thoughts and feelings down on paper (or computer).

This is a very interesting genre because it is different than many others out there, and I found myself answering these questions in ways that were different than I anticipate many others will answer them. I am glad that I am focusing on the genre of personal journal writing because it a) juxtaposes my origin piece (a formal research paper) and b) allows me to write very personally and honestly.