Experiment 1 Reflection

I chose to do a podcast for my first experiment, as I am an avid podcast listener. Going into this experiment, my favorite quality of the genre was its personability: I liked that I had constant access to intimate and engaging conversations. As I continued to research the structure of podcasts, though, I also came to appreciate their capacity for versatility. It seems like a podcast is a suitable format for almost any subject-matter, ranging from educational lectures to funny talk-shows. Ultimately, I found this to be daunting as well, since the possibilities were endless in terms of what I should talk about and how I should arrange my segments.

The primary realization I had when researching for Experiment 1 was that a good podcast requires good conversation. Although seemingly obvious, I certainly took podcasters’ ease of talking for granted prior to considering that I would have to master this as well. My expectations for turning this into a fully-realized draft have since evolved, as I initially assumed that organic conversation would be sufficient for producing a coherent piece. Now it is evident that my podcast would need to be thoroughly planned, likely with a robust script to ensure that I’m guiding my work in its intended direction.

My origin piece inspired the podcast’s theme of nostalgia through music. I think that, out of the four segments of the podcast that I planned, two are very literal in their connection to the plot of my origin piece. The other two segments will hopefully add dimension to my personal narrative and help make a holistic final product. I am especially excited to incorporate a psychological perspective into my work, as I found many interesting research papers that explore the how the brain expresses nostalgia as well as common traits of memory-provoking music.

I think that a lot of progress will have to be made in order to fully realize this experiment. Most importantly, I need to develop my interviewing skills. I plan on featuring two interview-style segments in my podcast, both of which are critical in helping facilitate the connection between music and memory. In order to gain meaningful insight from the people I’m interviewing, I need to optimize both the way in which I deliver questions and my ability to sustain a conversation/make productive connections. Additionally, I think that I need to learn how to instill a sense of longevity within my podcast. I do not want my work to come across as a stand-alone episode, but rather as a launching point for a broader exploration of its theme. Figuring out how to accomplish this will be challenging, as I think that this is a more nuanced quality that can change among different types of podcasts. A good starting point would be figuring out what keeps me, as a listener, eager to subscribe/continue enjoying a podcast.

To fully realize this experiment, I would need access to recording equipment and software. I plan on recording through the Wineberg Media Production Room, which gives full access to a microphone and booth. I also intend on editing with Audacity, which is a sound-editing software frequently used by podcast producers. There are many online tutorials guiding new users on how to create their own podcasts with Audacity. Finally, I would likely consider publishing this piece through iTunes, as it entails a simple uploading process and reaches a large audience.

One thought to “Experiment 1 Reflection”

1. Hey Leah!

I’m Morgan, another gateway student in T Hetzel’s class! I think your project sounds very interesting so far! I am also an avid podcast listener, so I think really getting to investigate the ins and outs of the genre will be so cool–it could even lead to making that podcast a continuous project in your life! The theme of nostalgia will allow you to really reconnect with your past and spend some time in introspection, which will make your project quite personal. Good luck!