Letters to the Future

Hello! My name is Akili Echols and I am currently a sophomore.

Here are some quick facts about me:

My major is sociology and I am minoring in writing as well as in Education for Empowerment which is all about education equity. I’m also a student-athlete here at UMich and run track. I love to write about social justice and my observations about the world around me. I also like writing poetry and even enjoy writing essays for class once in awhile.

The origin piece that I plan to use for my experiments is one that I wrote last semester in my English 225 class. My final project was a a collection of open letters about colorism that were addressed to my future daughter. I had a lot of fun when writing this origin piece, but it felt unfinished when I turned it in and I’m excited to see where I can take it.

I am really looking forward to being creative in new ways. For example, I plan on doing a photo essay/case study on someone in my life. I think using other mediums like photos in edition to my words will really allow me to push my own boundaries. I have never edited a video on my computer, so I hope that I am able to use the technology for my photo essay to its full capabilities, using all of it’s cool features. I wonder about where my experiments will take me and what I will find out about myself and others through the process.

Akili

One thought to “Letters to the Future”

1. This is such a cool idea! I am currently in a class called “art of the photo essay” in which we examine other’s essays and create our own photo essays. I’ve learned how compelling this medium is and I’m so excited that you are planning on using it!