Experiment 2 Reflection

Overall I really enjoy farces as a genre. The absurd humor displayed in farces matches my own sense of humor very well. I also think the relationship between play scripts and performed plays is very interesting – play scripts are limited by what can be practically accomplished within a play performance, but the performance introduces entirely new modes to the script’s story. On that note, I think play scripts could incorporate more images. Playwrights could incorporate sketches of sets or costumes to help guide the director without limiting their creative freedom too much. (Playwrights could also use detailed photographs/illustrations of exactly what they’re imagining if they want to limit creative freedom, but it seems like that would be frowned upon).

I think this project would turn out pretty well if fully realized. As I thought more about this experiment and drew inspiration from the pieces I read, I became more confident that I can deliver an interesting, humorous, and fairly unique narrative. One obstacle I had underestimated was how long 3-act plays are – writing a full farce would take longer than I had anticipated. However, I could always just write a shorter play (perhaps with just 2 acts) if I felt pressed for time. Otherwise, I still agree with my initial proposal in terms of the topic, plot, and genre.

This experiment is a pretty significant departure from my origin piece. My origin piece was a nonfiction personal narrative about designing a Pathfinder character named Ryan, whereas this experiment is a fictional play written as though Ryan had written it. So, I kept the topic related to Ryan, but the story no longer takes place in the real world or involves myself. Likewise, all the technical details about designing a Pathfinder character have been dropped. However, I still included the more general idea of character design – the play would be about a playwright designing a character in one of his plays. I figured this would be a nice way to tie in the topic of my origin piece and add another layer of ridiculousness to the play.

I’d still have a little bit more research to do before I could fully realize this experiment. I looked over the typical formal structure of play scripts (title page, cast page, etc.) but I’d have to refresh my memory as I’m writing. I’d probably have to play around with the formatting for a little bit, making sure my margins/line spacing/font size all create a very readable printed script. I’d also need to do some more research into spells and magic items to include in the magical stage directions (I’ve listed some common spells in my sketch draft, but I’d have to see what specific spells are needed for my narrative). Finally, I may need to clarify questions about the setting with my GM. For example, he mentioned that the Ryan’s homeland is filled with wealthy merchants, but it’s not clear exactly how wealthy – 6,000g for 3 Hats of Disguise might be chump change for them, or it might be a serious investment. If I overestimate their wealth, then the play couldn’t realistically be funded in-universe.

I can think of a few different general possibilities for where to publish this piece. Because the piece takes place within the Pathfinder universe, I could post it on forums dedicated to Pathfinder. It could prompt players to think about and discuss how magic affects in-universe media. Although it can’t actually be performed, my farce could still be a fun read for anyone interested in play scripts/farces/comedic writing. Those not familiar with Pathfinder should still be able to understand the play quite well (though some magical effects might require explanations via footnotes), and the humor should be fairly universal. Thus, I could try to publish it in any number of websites, journals, etc. more generally dedicated to play scripts, comedic writing, worldbuilding, etc. In addition to making my audience laugh, this piece may also prompt them to think about how magic, superpowers, etc. could influence the media within different fictional universes.