Fully-Realized Experiment: Making a Podcast

I am planning on making a podcast for my fully-realized draft. My podcast will use personal narrative and scientific evidence to explore the connection between music, memory, and emotion. I was inspired to take on this topic in a podcast format after realizing that, out of the many music podcasts on iTunes, very few gave a voice to fans for sharing how music has affected their lives. I thought that incorporating a scientific perspective into this theme would complement the emotion that dominates personal narratives, and add depth to my piece. I want to be able to explain and demonstrate, for instance, why a song can make someone nostalgic, why we keep revisiting sad songs, and why we often turn to music to express affection.

In terms of my authority as the host, I am aiming to establish myself as a peer to my audience. I am not an expert in any of the areas that I plan to discuss, but rather a storyteller who is aiming to make sense of why music affects us in the way that it does. I anticipate that my audience is equally curious in learning why and how people come to love music, and thus will aim to serve this interest through meaningful research and carefully-selected stories. I also think that my stance as a peer will be the best way to match the podcast’s personal and relatable subject matter.

I am very excited to make a podcast, but also very nervous! I have never done anything like this, and am worried that, at the end of the day, if I can’t figure out how to properly edit and produce, I won’t have a final product. Still, I believe in this project because I think that a podcast is a great format for giving a voice to a topic from which listeners can learn and empathize: the format will hopefully allow me to form a more intimate connection to my audience, as I am using my own, hopefully approachable, speaking voice in order to share a narrative on a rather personal/emotion-based topic. My other experiments, a mini graphic novel and a collection of music essays, seemed to not fit my goal of holistically exploring the emotion behind music as effectively as a podcast. It definitely would have been more of a challenge to include a scientific component into a graphic novel, as well as to authentically share an interview in the voice of its subject in either of these two remaining mediums.  I am also just overall a huge fan of many podcasts, and have always been curious about what it would be like to make one of my own, so that is certainly an added benefit.

Again, I think that a podcast gives me the ability to craft a narrative on my own terms, literally in my own voice. This will enhance the personal tone that I am trying to establish, and hopefully inspire listeners to embrace what I am saying as a peer rather than a daunting or overly-technical expert. I have found this to be the case in my own experiences listening to podcasts, as I am much more eager to enjoy and absorb an episode that includes discussion and friendly debate rather than a dry lecture. With this in mind, I think that I face two main challenges: avoiding to talk at my audience, and creating a cohesive story. I do not want to simply read off facts and then sign off, and I also do not want to leave the audience more confused than when they started by offering a final product that does not focus in on a consistent theme. If all things went according to plan, I would likely try to get this podcast published on iTunes, if I did decide to actually distribute it.

5 thoughts to “Fully-Realized Experiment: Making a Podcast”

1. I like this idea a lot! The people at Groundworks and Shapiro Design Lab are really helpful and could walk you through some of the editing processes for podcasts!

2. This is such an interesting topic and sounds like a great final project. Just remember that you have so many resources available to you and people that want to help!