A Gateway to Great Things

I’ll start with the biggest piece of advice—savor the experience. At least for me, this class served as a break from my usual tireless, academia-filled days. It helped me escape from nightmares of textbook readings and monotonous study routines, giving me a chance to remember my unrestricted and authentic voice as a writer.

Also, don’t be afraid to share from the writer’s notebooks! Initially, I was wary about reading work that I messily jotted down in a pocket-sized notebook within a span of five minutes. Just remember that your classmates are not judging you. Everyone is supportive and wants to hear what you have to say. It can be really enjoyable if you let it. It’s also a great way to get to know your classmates as writers and as people.

As for more business-oriented matters, make sure you choose a topic that you are passionate about for the experiments. I really can’t stress that enough. The project was a really great experience for me because I chose a topic that I wanted to spend almost half of the semester with. Go with your gut! Furthermore, start work on the e-portfolio or experiments that you know will take a long time earlier if you can. If you are not able to, that’s ok too. You will still have enough time, but it never hurts to get a head start.

Basically, you’re going to do a lot of writing this semester. So, by the end of your time in the gateway course, that writer’s bump on your finger might grow, and that’s a sign of success.

Have fun!