Adventure Awaits

My biggest piece of advice is to use and create things you have a passion for. You’re going to be working with your origin piece, your experiments, and your e-portfolio for a long time, so you’re going to want to use something you don’t mind re-reading, re-imagining, and revising on the daily. Don’t pick something because it’s easy, or because you got a good grade for it, or because you think it’s what other people would like to see. Pick something that you really care about, and that you’ll keep caring about. You’ll thank me later.

Don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone. In fact, I encourage it. Exploring into genres you already have an expertise in isn’t really exploration, it’s just going to make for a boring, ordinary process. Try new things, wacky things, that you’d never have the opportunity to do in other classes. I’ve been specializing in Political Science and Public Policy my whole time at Michigan, yet I created a video poem, a baby book photo essay, and an obituary for my experiments, and I was so glad I did. I got to access a new, creative part of me, and I got to experiment and challenge my intellectual capabilities without feeling the typical pressure. This is an environment built for interdisciplinary adventure. Be an adventurer!