Advice to Future Gateway Students

Hi. If you’re reading this, you’re probably just starting your journey as a Sweetland Minor in Writing student. Congratulations, I’m excited for you! The first step in your experience is the Minor in Writing Gateway Course. Hopefully, this post will give you a few tips and tricks to get the most you can out of this class! Here are just a few things I’ve learned this semester:

1.Use your writer’s notebook

Bring your notebook with you on weekends and mornings and between classes on the bus. You never know what interesting conversations you’ll overhear that could inspire a poem or story or response. It will also help you stay in the mindset of a writer outside of class.

2. Stay on track with deadlines

Workshopping in groups can be really useful, but only if you actually have something to be workshopped! Try to keep up with deadlines for your experiments or other pieces for the course, because it will help you get the most out of the course and your experience in the minor.

3. Listen to your peers

During the tote bag reading sessions or workshops or any time your classmates share their writing, really listen. You might find inspiration in a line or in their style that will push you further as a writer.

4. T (or whoever your Gateway instructor is) is a great resource

When you hit a road block in one of your experiments or your final project, don’t be afraid to make a meeting with your instructor. T has helped me through some very confusing moments with lots of my pieces. They offer an outside perspective with experience to guide you.

5. Make sure you enjoy it

Don’t forget to enjoy yourself when working on these projects! Just because they are a part of coursework doesn’t mean they have to feel like a task to check off of a list. Remember your roots as a writer and follow the topics you’re passionate about!